Sunday, January 13, 2008

Putting Hillary in Context

I have made no secret of my dislike for President Bush's policies and unconstitutional attacks on our liberty. Yet, I cannot give unconditional support for any Democratic candidate to replace him either. I was, quite frankly, sickened by the weasely waffling and failure to take any responsibility for her own voting record, by Senator Hillary Clinton on today's broadcast of NBC's Meet The Press. Everytime host Tim Russert would call Hillary on some of her votes or speeches made back in 2002 when she voted to give Bush authority to invade Iraq, she would cry "context". Senator Clinton, with all due respect, you cannot context away your record. You ask us to vote for you because of your experience and record, yet every time some of your record makes you uncomfortable, you cite context. In fact, during the MTP broadcast, Hillary did this six times! Look at the transcript:

I understand the taking out of context and the mischaracterization.

Well, Tim, let's put this in context.

Let's look at the entire context.

. . .let's look at the context here.

Now, I think it's important to take a look at the entire context here.

But you know, Tim, I think that it's only fair to look at the entire context . . .

Also, Hillary is running on her "35 years of experience". She is a U.S. Senator who has been in office for not quite 8 years. She has 20 years experience of being either the First Lady of Arkansas or the First Lady of the United States; hardly relevant political experience. Where does she figure this 35 years? No doubt, she is a smart woman, but she overstates her experience and runs from her record. Look at what she said when Russert pressed on about her vote to give Bush war powers:

Now, we can sit here and argue about 2002 or we can say what has happened since and what needs to happen going forward in the future.

In other words, "Let's not talk about my record, Tim." I am all for a woman as President of the United States. Hillary just isn't my choice. It is my belief that the Democrats, and the nation, would be best served if the junior U.S. Senator from New York would drop out of the race. As that isn't likely that will happen any time soon, it is therefore time for Democrats to smack her down at every primary and caucus in this year's presidential campaign. If she becomes the nominee, I will be very disappointed, as I cannot vote for any of the Republicans, and I think Hillary is a politician who wavers with the political wind. I hope that isn't the choice remaining when it's all said and done.

No comments: