Saturday, September 20, 2008

World's Best Squash Casserole

Last weekend, we went to the farmer's market in Parker to get some fresh, locally-grown vegetables. Among the things the lovely spouse and I bought, were some beautiful summer squash, some Colorado onions, some green beans, some tomatoes that were so deep red and sweet inside, some Yukon Gold potatoes, and some wonderful sweet corn. Some of these items went into our beef stew we had earlier this week, but last night was the best thing ever.

I don't know exactly how she did it, but the LS made up a recipe as she went along, making the best squash casserole I have ever had in my life. She really outdid herself on that one. I know she cubed and boiled the squash, then mashed it before preparing it to go into the casserole dish. I also know she used a couple of handfuls of cheese and some cubes of bread from a day-old baguette from the little French bakery we buy from. I guess the rest of the ingredients must have been love and magic, because this was the best thing I have ever eaten! Cracker Barrel and Black Eyed Pea squash have been not just beaten, but kicked to the curb. I told her that she should enter this into the county fair.

The casserole was browned just right to have a little crispness around the edges, and just enough cheese to add a flavor that matched perfectly with the squash and whatever else she put in. I was going to take a picture of it, but that will have to wait until the next one, because it was consumed very quickly! We had fresh green beans cooked with a dab of bacon grease for flavor, and some nicely seasoned herb chicken. It was all delicious, but that squash casserole was unbelieveable! I told her that if I ever get put on death row and have a last meal request, that squash will be on my menu. The farmer's market happens again tomorrow, so you can be sure that squash will be on my list!

No comments: