Sunday, December 03, 2006

Downtown Cowboy

Denver is well known for its many displays of public art and sculpture. Since I don't get downtown much anymore, I tend to notice things that pop up between visits.

I don't know how long this cowboy guitarist mural has been gracing the side of this building near the west end of the 16th Street Mall, but it was new to me when I first saw it last week. I checked out the Denver Public Art brochure (available by CLICKING HERE) and found nothing about it.

This type of picture would not likely be found in cities of the east coast, but instead harkens back to Denver's part in the history of cowboys in the west. The singing cowboy and his guitar are integral to the mythos of the American West, and it is good to see this image silently serenading people walking or riding by.

No comments: