Sunday, January 21, 2007

Poetry for Another Snowy Weekend

This is the fifth weekend in a row where we have large amounts of snow falling here in Douglas County. It is rare that the Colorado snow doesn't dissipate quickly, but our prolonged low temperatures have let each storm pile more snow upon that left by its predecessor. It seems to me that this is the longest time with snow continuously left on the ground since I moved to Colorado back in 1994.

So, breaking with my usual pattern of only posting original material written or photographed by me, I feel like sharing some poems for snowy times written by one of my favorite poets, the late Robert Frost.


Fire And Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.


Dust of Snow

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening


Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house in in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

No comments: