Friday, March 16, 2007

Mad Mama Bison



Here is a picture I took just outside of Parker, Colorado last summer. There is a herd of American Bison, commonly called Buffaloes, at a ranch about half a mile from where I live. These noble beasts once roamed in great herds across the American West, but were nearly hunted to extinction by settlers out to fulfill Manifest Destiny. Luckily, they have made a comeback, and are now raised for their meat, which is lower in fat than beef, and quite tasty.

This is a shot I got where there were several adults and calves. This mama didn't like me getting that close to her young one, as you can see by her stance, and the dust she is kicking up. Needless to say, I took the photo and quickly got away from the area! Still, I think this is an interesting photo.

No comments: